Home   | About Us   |  Membership   |  Events   |  Tours   |  Useful Links   |  Contact Us
About Us
The Society
Our History
Message from the President
Committee Members
History
On the 12th August 1965, 6 expatriates met at 267 Cantonment Road for the very first General Committee meeting of the śWine and Food Society, Singapore Branch”. Mr. Gould was the first and founding President of the Society and at its historic meeting, they discussed the Rules of the Society and planned their 'Inaugural Dinner': a French-themed dinner for 50 members at The Adelphi Hotel on the 14th October 1965.

The first dinner of the Society cost $40.00 per person. They drank a case of the 'Grand Vin de Leoville du Marquis de Las Cases 1955 (Chateau bottled) costing $13.50 per bottle and another case of the Corton Clos du Roi 1959 costing $11.40 per bottle.

The Society was subsequently affiliated with the International Wine & Food Society (London) and changed its name to the present name of śThe International Wine & Food Society of Singapore” with the Registry of Societies in 1987. In 1989, the Society was awarded the right to host the IWFS (London)'s Triennal Convention. The Society was the largest and the most active branch of the IWFS (London) within the Asia Pacific Zone.

In 2006, the Society decided to terminate its affiliation with the IWFS (London) and has since then been operating as an independent social wine and food society in Singapore.

 

 

 



©2009 IWFS - Singapore